Wednesday 20 February 2013

Update on the world of student PR

Quick update on the world of student PR:

It's reading week, and my oh my has it been a busy one! Monday consisted of an interview for a three month internship, as mentioned previously, so I won't go into too much detail about it. I can't believe that was only two days ago! I should expect to hear something back by the end of next week... it's going to feel like a long wait!! My fingers are still very much crossed!

Spent the last two days working at Eyes Wide Open (EWO) Communications and it's been very exciting indeed. I love working there, the people are just so nice and the projects are always so varied and nice to work on! I always look forward to it! I'm literally just filling in the blanks for client projects this week and it's been good; bit of database work going on, some competitor research, research and materials sourcing, social media research and not to mention I've just finished writing an EWO blog post, that is yet to be approved, but it will also be a post for this bog as well, so watch this space!!

Oh and as much I dislike to admit it- my lecturers were right! Research and insight are exactly what drives strategy and campaign ideas and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel that one of my modules is completely relevant after all! (I realised this through a day's analysis of survey results!)

It's been a busy but refreshingly exciting week so far and a little sad as it's my last day at EWO tomorrow and then Friday and Saturday it's back to my regular part time job at the garden centre. The company are doing really great and they've got some exciting prospects ahead of them in the near future and I'm very grateful for the opportunities they keep sending my way.

It's amazing how much you can actually learn, even from a few days here and there in companies. It just puts a real life spin on the lecture theory. It also adds variety to my life and I believe when completing assignments it can help input some fresh ideas and innovation. It's also good to practice working culture too, and get a feel for what sort of company you want to go into in the future. It's all about choices and the great thing about internships are you're not tied to them as you would be a job and you can mix it up a lot of the time. It's a great way to make industry contacts and to get some great recommendations for the future. For the first time in a very long time I feel the battle of completing a university degree is finally paying off!

No comments:

Post a Comment