Tuesday 4 December 2012

Making it worthwhile

I currently commute to university as I only live about 20 miles away. In rush hour, this takes me an hour and 15 minutes tops. Whilst I'm driving it gives me a lot of time to think about project ideas, presentations, etc. It's actually a very productive time for me because although I'm not able to physically write things down my thought process goes into overdrive and more often than not my ideas for all my first year projects came from this method.

So today, I was driving down my road and realised I needed petrol (I promise there is reasoning behind me telling you this!). The petrol station was packed with angry looking drivers who quite obviously don't have a care for anyone else but themselves by they way they were treating each other.

After filling up my car and standing in the queue to pay, I observed everyone in the forecourt. They're all angry, frustrated, impatient, etc. Not a single person looking positive which is depressing and it got me thinking during my journey into university. This could be a normality for the rest of my life? Commuting into work, encountering these people day in and day out, it's quite draining.

That's when I realised that to go to all this effort and to make having nightmare commutes worthwhile (like people who commute to London on trains also- that must be even worse!!) you must really enjoy your job. My parents keep telling no one enjoys their job, not really. But I really intend to land myself with something that I can wake up and be enthusiastic about every single morning, regardless of any other factor, like commuting.

It's kind of given me fresh motivation to get through this university course so that I can start earning money and thus start living my life and being able to start fulfilling a lot of things I have planned. I guess the great thing about PR is that you can tailor your job to suit your needs and wants. There are so many different types of agencies and in-house that cover such a broad scope you can have a job that is as specific or as varied as you like and this is what I look forward to- really finding my niche through this course and having things finally fitting into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment